Admission Requirements To The Reginald F. Lewis College Of Business
PRE-BUSINESS PHASE REQUIREMENTS
As of Fall 2014, all first year students in the Reginald F. Lewis College of Business will be evaluated at the end of their second semester to determine if they will be allowed to continue as a business student. At the end of their second semester, students must have a minimum cumulative G.P.A. of 2.25 in the following predictor courses: COBU 101, 110, 155, and MATH 122. Students who have not met this requirement will be advised individually of their options for other majors at Virginia State University.
ELIGIBILITY FOR ADMISSION TO THE BUSINESS PHASE
After the successful completion of four semesters of study (63 semester hours), the Pre-Business student is eligible for admission to the Business Phase. Unconditional admission to the Business Phase requires the successful completion of the following specific requirements:
- Completion of a minimum of 63 semester hours, including University General Education requirements and COBU 101, 110, 111, 155, 170, 200, 201, 202, 210 & 260.
- Accounting majors must pass COBU 201 and 202 with a minimum grade of “B.”
- A minimum cumulative G.P.A. of 2.50 in all courses taken at Virginia State University or a minimum cumulative G.P.A. of 2.50 in all business courses, whichever is highest.
- A minimum grade of “C” is mandatory in all business courses and in ENGL 110 and ENGL 111.
CONDITIONAL APPROVAL TO REMAIN IN THE REGINALD F. LEWIS College OF BUSINESS
After the fourth semester of study, the student can gain conditional approval to remain in the Reginald F. Lewis College of Business while trying to achieve the minimum requirements to advance to the Business Phase.
- If a student has a 2.50 G.P.A. or better, but needs 9 hours or less of the courses necessary to enter Business Phase, the student is accepted on the condition that he/she completes the required courses in the first semester of the Business Phase.
- Any student with a G.P.A. less than 2.50 and/or needing more than 9 hours from the Pre-Business Phase (Freshman and Sophomore level courses) is rejected from entering the Business Phase (Junior and Senior level courses) and may be advised to repeat courses or change their major.
- Students admitted conditionally to the Business Phase of the Business School curriculum have one semester to complete any deficiencies of their course of study. Failure to do so may result in the student not being able to continue in the School of Business.
- Students who do not meet the above criteria will be advised to repeat courses to bring up their G/P.A. or consider a major outside of the School of Business. All other exceptions will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.